Nesting is a primal instinct. All of us yearn for our space called home, and jump headlong into the process of getting one or making one.
Off late, we see Vastu playing a key role in people’s decision making of home or office space.We all know the science behind Architecture and Civil Engineering that goes into the design and construction of property – but Vastu Shastra – is it a science or an arcane practice? Let’s learn more about it.
Vastu Shastra- A Brief Introduction
Vastu is said to have been practiced as early as 6000-3000 BC. Vastu Shastra is a part of Atharva Veda, one of the 4 Vedas. Simply put, Vastu Shastra outlines the principles to be followed during the construction of a structure,so that it is in total harmony with the five natural forces, the gravitational and electromagnetic forces that act on every single living creature on earth.
Meaningful Vastu for happy homes
Vastu is not only about the construction of a property, but also gives detailed info on the positioning of each and every room inside a house, which direction each room should face, and the balance between the various natural elements in a home.
Vastu principles are steeped in logic and make a lot of sense when you think about it. For e.g., Vastu says that it is ideal for a house to be East-facing. The logic behind it is that East facing houses get plenty of sunshine early in the morning, and the UV rays of the early sun have a sanitizing effect on the rooms.
Applying Vastu Principles for your home
Unlike earlier days, today we have contractors and builders taking care of a house or apartment construction. With a significant population living in cities in apartments, it sometimes becomes difficult to apply Vastu to all the aspects of construction and living.
While Vastu elaborates on how every single item in a house should be placed, you can look at the following broad guidelines for various rooms in your home or apartment for practical purposes.
- Book an apartment unit that faces East or North East as much as possible.
- Ensure that there are an even number of doors and windows in the house.
- The Entrance door should be bigger than any of the other doors.
- Light up the entrance with bright lights and avoid any shadow falling on the main door.
- It is best to have your living room in the North or North-East direction
- You can jazz up your living room with green plants, and aquariums,in the North-East, and East corners respectively. Avoid Red and Black colors for the walls.
- It is ideal to have your kitchen in the South-East corner of your house.
- Place your stove in the South-East cornerof the kitchen.
- Store your groceries in the South or West directions.
- Remember to face East while cooking.
- Orange, Yellow, and Rose are good colors for the kitchen.
Pooja or Prayer room
- The best place for the Pooja room is the North-East corner of your house.
- The idols should be keptfacing East.
- You can use White, Yellow or Light Blue colors inside the Pooja room.
- A Pooja room should never be below a staircase, in the basement, or near toilets.
- The Master Bedroom should be in the South-West corner of the home.
- The bed can be placed in the South or West wall.
- You must sleep with your head in the South and feet in the North direction.
- Pink, Blue, Brown and Grey colors are recommended for the bedroom walls.
- West is considered as the best direction, followed by East and North-East directions.
- You can face East or North-East while studying or working; try to avoid facing blank walls.
- Avoid studying or sleeping below beams in the ceiling.
- Keep the room clutter free to avoid distractions and to help in focusing.
- Use pleasant, soothing colors for the wall paints.
Some Simple Vastu Tips
While there are a lot of dos and donot’s, as to the direction and orientation of the house in whole, and the rooms, in particular;sometimes it may involve expensive renovations to apply Vastu. Alternatively, you can try the following small changes at a little or no cost.
- Vastu recommends keeping Lucky Bamboo,andMoney plant inside the house and Basil, Jasmine, Rose, Lemon and Lotus in your balcony or garden.
- Have a small water body either in the form of an aquarium or a small fountain in the living area.
- Hanging windchimes that produce delicate tinkling sounds is recommended in Vastu as it creates a positive vibe in a house.
- Painting the house in pleasing colors, ensuring the right placement of windows and doors, results in good lighting and ventilation inside the house, and it brings down your power bill too.
- Hanging happy family pictures, andpleasing artwork help in creating a positive ambiance. You can also keep small statues of Buddha in the house, as Vastu gives a lot of importance to Buddha who represents knowledge, peace, and contentment.
- Plan and place your furniture in such a way that they are well placed and don’t look cluttered. It will ensure a good flow of positive energy in the house.
Vastu for Harmony and Peace
Vastu is an ancient science, and it describes how to create comfortable and productive spaces. While following Vastu may not guarantee fortunes, success, or happiness as claimed by touts, you can be sureof creating a peaceful living or working space, that is in perfect harmony with its surroundings and nature.
It is easy to apply Vastu principles to your home, office, factory, garden or any living/ working space. Research shows that positive environment with good vibes influences the mind and body of people,and thereby their happiness and success.
Do your research, and identify a good Vastu Specialist who can help you achieve this dream. Be practical about the limitations of urban dwelling, and try to incorporate Vastu within that framework,for a peaceful and happy living.